- If you only want to use the PS4 controller with Steam games, just connect it to your PC using a USB cable, and it'll work automatically.
- To use the PS4 controller with other games, you can connect it via Bluetooth, or easily configure the controller using a program called DS4Windows.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
If you love playing games on your PS4 and want the same DualShock controller experience on your PC , you're in luck it's easy to connect a PS4 controller to a Windows computer. In fact, there are several different ways to do it.
The simplest approach: If you play all your PC games through Steam, you can simply connect your DualShock controller to the PC using a USB cable. It'll be recognized automatically, and simply work in any Steam games that have controller support.
If you want to use your PS4 controller on your PC outside of Steam, you can either connect it via Bluetooth (if your computer has Bluetooth built in) or use a USB cable with an additional, free program that allows the controller to work with Windows.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to connect a PS4 controller to your PC using Bluetooth
1. Click the Start button in Windows and click the Settings icon, which looks like a gear. You can find it directly above the Power button, used to shut down the PC.
2. In the Windows Settings search box, type "Bluetooth." In the dropdown of suggested search results, click "Bluetooth and other device settings."
3. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on. The button should be switched to the right.
4. Make sure your PS4 is turned off or in rest mode, so the controller isn't actively connected to it. Press and hold the PS and Share buttons on the controller for at least three seconds, until you see the light at the top of the controller start flashing.
5. Click "Add Bluetooth or other device."
6. On the Add a device page, click "Bluetooth."
7. Click "Wireless Controller" in the list of available devices. You might be asked to enter a code if so, just enter "0000."
Your controller should connect automatically.
How to connect a PS4 controller to your PC without Bluetooth
You can connect your controller even if your computer doesn't have Bluetooth, using a utility called DS4Windows.
1. Download DS4Windows from GitHub. Look for the latest version on the page as of this writing, it should be "DS4Windows_1.7.17_x64.zip" and click the zip version of the file.
2. Install DS4Windows by opening the Zip file and double-clicking DS4Updater.
3. Connect your PS4 controller to the PC using a USB cable.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech :
- How to connect Bluetooth headphones to your PS4 if they're compatible with the console
- How to properly clean a PS4 console, on both the exterior and interior
- How to turn a PS4 on or off, or put it into Rest Mode, using the controller or system
- How to charge a PlayStation 4 controller using your PS4 console
- How to change the username on your PS4's PlayStation Network service in 2 ways
- How to appear offline on a PS4 in 2 different ways
- How to set up dual monitors on your Windows 10 computer and double the screen size of your workspace
SEE ALSO: The best computer monitors for students and professionals