- The substance of the probe is not known, but is said to be a separate investigation to the joint probe by 50 attorneys general launched last year.
- Google is now facing several separate antitrust investigations into its search, advertising, and Android businesses.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
California has launched an antitrust investigation into Google, according to a report from Politico, adding to what was already gearing up to be a heated summer of antitrust battles for the company .
The substance of the probe is unknown, but Politico reports that it is separate from the other ongoing investigation into Google's business practices, according to people "with knowledge of the inquiry."
California would be the 49th state to launch an antitrust investigation into the company. Last year, attorneys general from 48 states and two territories launched a joint probe into Google's advertising and search practices, but California was not among them. According to the report, California is not joining the existing state coalition and is instead running its own investigation.
California is home to Google's Mountain View headquarters, making it a particularly noteworthy addition to the list of investigators into Google's business.
Separately, the Justice Department is running its own antitrust investigation into Google. In May, the Washington Post reported that both the federal and state investigations were preparing to bring lawsuits against the company.
Then, there's the House Judiciary Committee investigation into the four major tech companies Google, Apple, Facebook, and Amazon which will hold a hearing on July 27. All four CEOs have committed to testifying .
So far, the antitrust investigations into Google have focused heavily on its advertising business and search practices, although it's been reported that the company's Android business is also being looked at.
A Google spokesperson declined to comment for this story.
Are you a Google insider with insight to share? You can contact this reporter securely using encrypted messaging app Signal (+1 628-228-1836) or encrypted email (email@example.com).
NOW WATCH: Pathologists debunk 13 coronavirus myths
- Google is gearing up for a summer of heated antitrust battles: Here's a guide to the various investigations and regulatory threats Google is facing
- Tim Cook, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, and Sundar Pichai are set to appear before Congress on July 27 in an antitrust hearing
- Google looks for 4 specific traits when screening potential interns, according to the company's chief talent recruiter