- The car using the tunnel won the race by more than three minutes, after the car above ground got stuck in traffic.
- The video reveals that the Boring Company has done away with a key element of the tunnel's original design rails that guide the car.
- Boring Company CEO Elon Musk has said he created the company to solve LA's "soul-destroying" traffic.
Less than 24 hours after news broke that Elon Musk's Boring Company landed its first tunnel-building project in Las Vegas, it released a video of two Teslas racing one using the roads, the other a Boring Company tunnel.
The Tesla which takes the tunnel takes 1 minute and 36 seconds to reach the destination, reaching 127 mph. The car using the roads arrives after 4 minutes and 44 seconds, after getting stuck at a red light.
You can watch the race here:
The race took place in LA, where the Boring Company has its Hawthorne 1.14 mile-long test tunnel. The video revealed that a key element of the tunnel's design has changed.
This demonstration of the tunnel differed from earlier ones in which cars were whisked along on rails.
Replying to a tweet which asked whether there were no more rails and the car was just driving on autopilot, Musk said : "Pretty much." When asked why the original rail system had been abandoned, Musk added : "This is simple and just works."
Previously the CEO has said he hopes the tunnels can let people escape LA's "soul-destroying" traffic. Musk showed off the inside of the tunnel in December by taking CBS anchor Gayle King for a ride at a much more sedate 20 mph.
Musk announced on Wednesday that the Boring Company's first commercial project building a one-mile long connecting two ends of the Las Vegas Convention Center will be completed by the end of this year.
- A SpaceX contractor risked disaster by forging safety inspectors' signatures for Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rocket parts, US prosecutors say
- 'Like trying to build the USA in the middle of the Atlantic': Elon Musk just dunked on Jeff Bezos' vision to build floating space colonies
- SpaceX is suing the US Air Force, accusing it of awarding $2.3 billion worth of contracts to firms with 'unbuilt, unflown' rocket systems