- The Crispy Chicken Sandwich and Deluxe Crispy Chicken Sandwich will hit menus at McDonald's locations in Houston, Texas, and Knoxville, Tennessee, on Monday.
- McDonald's has been working to develop a new chicken sandwich for months, even before Popeyes kicked off the Chicken Sandwich Wars earlier this year .
- McDonald's is also planning to roll out chicken at breakfast in 2020, according to leaked documents viewed by Business Insider.
- Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru, to get more stories like this in your inbox .
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
After months of being bested in the Chicken Sandwich Wars, McDonald's is testing a new weapon.
On Monday, McDonald's kicked off a test of a new Crispy Chicken Sandwich and Deluxe Crispy Chicken Sandwich in Houston, Texas, and Knoxville, Tennessee.
The Crispy Chicken Sandwich is a fried chicken filet topped with butter and pickles, while the Deluxe Crispy Chicken Sandwich also includes tomatoes, lettuce, and mayo.
Both sandwiches use a new chicken filet that has not previously been served at McDonald's, differentiating the new sandwiches from the McChicken and the Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Sandwich. And, the sandwiches appear to be served in a foil bag, a presentation utilized by Chick-fil-A and Popeyes that McDonald's has not used in the past.
"The Crispy Chicken Sandwich and the Deluxe Crispy Chicken Sandwich will be tested beginning December 2 through January 26, 2020," a McDonald's representative said in a statement to Business Insider. "Houston and Knoxville are getting a sneak peek, everyone else should stay tuned for what's to come in 2020."
McDonald's has been working to perfect a new chicken sandwich for months even before Popeyes launched its own chicken sandwich.
CNBC reported in July that McDonald's franchisees are pushing the company to make developing a new chicken sandwich the chain's "top priority," citing Chick-fil-A's results.A sandwich that McDonald's tested earlier this year apparently underwhelmed restaurant operators, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Popeyes' successful chicken sandwich launch highlighted McDonald's need for a superior chicken sandwich. The fast-food giant reported in October that it lost share of the chicken category during the Chicken Sandwich Wars.
McDonald's is also planning to roll out chicken at breakfast in 2020, according to leaked documents viewed by Business Insider, though the company has not yet announced what the new menu item or items will be.
- Read more:
- Leaked documents reveal McDonald's is planning to open a new breakfast battleground in the chicken sandwich wars with Chick-fil-A and Wendy's
- McDonald's chicken sales took a hit after Popeyes' sandwich launched the chicken wars
- I tried everything on McDonald's breakfast menu and saw why it can't just rely on iconic classics to fend off new competition
- Inside the chaotic aftermath of the McDonald's CEO's shocking termination and his replacement's quest to win over workers
- Furious customers are complaining that Walmart canceled their Apple Watch orders, sparking concerns that they might miss out on early Black Friday deals
- From Cheez-It pizza to doughnut chicken sandwiches, these were the 16 most outrageous fast-food releases of 2019
- Costco's website crashed for several hours over Thanksgiving, and experts estimate it could have cost the retailer nearly $11 million in sales