- Milan is suing the MLS club for trademark infringement, claiming the term "Inter" is synonymous with itself only, according to NBC Sports.
- On Monday, the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) dismissed one of Miami's arguments against the case, according to a report from Law.com. Miami attorney David Winker says the club now faces an "uphill battle."
- A decision is unlikely to be made until the end of 2020, says Winker, meaning Miami will likely play its inaugural MLS season under its current moniker.
- Read more of our soccer coverage here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Serie A side, full name FC Internazionale Milano, filed a trademark application in 2014 to obtain exclusive rights to the term in the United States, Law.com says.
And on Monday it won a key battle in the first stages of its case against Miami, as the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) dismissed one of the American club's two arguments.
The report from Miami attorney David Winker said: "The USPTO found that MLS' claim that there are a number of clubs around the world that use Inter in their name SC Internacional of Porto Alegre, Brazil, Inter Nashville FC, Inter Atlanta FC, FC Inter Turku (Finland), NK Inter Zapresic (Croatia), Inter Leipzig (Germany) and Inter de Grand-Goave (Haiti) did not meet its burden to show that MLS has valid proprietary, or ownership, right in the name, Inter."
Miami's second argument is that the term "Inter" is "merely descriptive" and hence cannot be properly registered.
Winker however believes the club faces an "uphill battle" as it will have to try and prove to the USPTO that consumers do not think of Inter Milan when they hear "Inter."
Fortunately for Beckham, who bought the expansion team for $25 million in 2014, a decision is unlikely to be made until the end of 2020, says Winker, meaning it will probably play its first full MLS season under its current moniker.
Miami plays Los Angeles FC in its inaugural match on March 1 at the Banc of California Stadium, and plays its first home game against Los Angeles Galaxy two weeks later.