- After both goals, Lloyd celebrated with a golf clap, appearing to mock critics who said the U.S. celebrated too much during their 13-0 win over Thailand in their previous match.
- Lloyd said she thinks the team made a statement with the golf clap while they also secured a spot in the knockout stage.
- Follow all of our Women's World Cup coverage here.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Carli Lloyd and the U.S. Women's National Team appeared to have some fun at the expense of critics on Sunday during a 3-0 win over Chile in their second match of the World Cup.
After Lloyd scored Team USA's first goal vs. Chile, she ran to the sideline, and after a light celebration, turned toward the bench, and did a golf clap.
The celebration appeared to mock those who criticized the women's team for celebrating after beating Thailand 13-0 in their first match of the World Cup.
US midfielder Lindsey Horan also joined the celebration, according to The Washington Post's Cindy Boren .
Lloyd also golf-clapped after her second goal of the game.
After the match, Lloyd said she thought the team made a statement.
"I can't take credit for it. I'm not sure if Lindsey is taking credit for it," Lloyd said. "She had told me if we score, that's what we're going to do, so I just went along with it after I did my little celebration, but it was fun. I think it made a statement on the sideline there."
Team USA has defended their performance and celebrations vs. Chile since the match. Head coach Jill Ellis made a point to note that goal-differential matters in the group stage.
Megan Rapinoe said the team had an "explosion of joy" on the field and that people could criticize them if they want, but they wouldn't back down.
Now with 16 goals scored and 0 allowed, the U.S. secured a spot in the knockout stage. They play Sweden on Thursday.
- Read more:
- Soccer analyst Alexi Lalas says the US women are now bigger 'villains' with an even larger target on their backs after beating Thailand 13-0
- A Miami bar offered a free shot for every goal the US scored against Thailand, and the Americans scored a record 13 times
- Women's World Cup 2019: Everything you need to know about Team USA
- Why the World Cup format encourages teams like Team USA to score as many goals as possible, even in a blowout
- Alex Morgan comforted a crying Thai player after Team USA's 13-0 smackdown of Thailand in its first match of the World Cup
- Tobin Heath's nutmeg was the highlight of Team USA's dominant Women's World Cup opener