The United Nations has revealed that Boko Haram insurgents carried out 135 terror attacks in Nigeria and around the Lake Chad region in 2017.

According to Mohammed ibn Chambas, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General in Western Africa and Sahel, these attacks were committed by minor suicide-bombers from the insurgent group.

"More effective measures are needed for a military operation against Boko-Haram today. Since September 2017 the fighters of Boko-Haram attacked north on Nigeria and neighbouring states. In November 2017 they killed 143 people. The members of Boko-Haram frequently use children as suicide bombers. 135 such cases were fixed in 2017, 5 times higher than in 2016," he said.

Also Read: Nigeria, neighbours in joint operation to finally capture Abubakar Shekau

Claim of technically defeating the Boko Haram seems not tenable again

Nigeria’s minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed on December 23, 2015, informed the citizens of a landmark achievement of the current administration. He said the terrorist group, Boko Haram had been technically defeated.

Mr Lai Mohammed told the BBC News that he could “confidently” say that However, forty-eight hours later a wave of attacks by female suicide bombers claimed the lives of more than 50 people in northeastern Nigeria.

President Buhari also reiterated this position on November 27, 2017. He told the press that the Boko Haram insurgent group is a dying horse struggling to have its last kicks.

“Let me be clear, Boko Haram has been massively degraded and its surviving members put on the run. Instead of being hunters, they are now the haunted.

“In their desperation to stay relevant, they have resorted to the wicked and dastardly act of using innocent under-aged children to carry out suicide bomb attacks. What we are witnessing now are the last kicks of a dying horse.

“A dying horse manages to engage in some kicks. These kicks may be dangerous, but they don’t last long."

But it seems these kicks are having devastating effects than expected.