- Army veterans are employed to work inside the factory.
- Poppies are worn every year to remember those who have given their lives in conflicts around the world.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Poppy Factory in Richmond creates poppy products for the Royal British Legion's annual poppy appeal.
Each poppy starts as a plastic stem, imported into the factory. The paper leaf and petal are cut out using machines. The factory assembles these together using a plastic button.
Around 140,000 wreaths are made at the factory each year. These are made using fabric materials instead of paper. The Royal family's remembrance wreaths are assembled at the factory.
The factory has employed 28 ex-servicemen and women since 1922 as part of ongoing charitable activities.It has also run an employment service since 2010. They help disabled military veterans find jobs across the country.This year, The Poppy Factory celebrated placing their 1000th veteran in a paid position.
Each year, over 45 million poppies are sold across England, Wales and Northern Ireland in preparation for Remembrance Day on November 11.
Produced by Ju Shardlow
- Fruits and veggies can rot quickly because of a pesky gas called ethylene. Here are the items you should never store together.
- The world's biggest cruise ship has robot bartenders, a water slide with a 92-foot drop, and a nine-story zip-line here's what it looks like
- 50 haunting photos of abandoned shopping malls across America