- In July, Wealth-X released their 2019 report on which universities (both globally and in the US) have produced the most ultra-high net worth (UHNW) individuals , here defined as those with a net worth of $30 million or more.
- On the US list, only five out of the 20 institutions listed are public schools , whereas six out of the eight Ivy League universities topped the list.
- Wealth-X estimates that Harvard University has nearly 14,000 UHNW alumni, but not the most alumni whose wealth can be considered "self-made" rather than inherited.
- University of Chicago and University of Virginia share the distinction of having the most UHNW alumni with self-made wealth .
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
In July, Wealth-X released their findings on which US colleges have produced the most millionaires .
The study focused on those alumni deemed to be ultra-high net worth (UHNW) individuals: those with fortunes of $30 million or more. The report analyzed the Wealth-X database of the world's wealthiest people and used Wealth-X's Wealth and Investable Assets Model to estimate the number of UHNW alumni and their fortunes.
The report concluded that, globally, the US tops the list of nations with the most universities producing UHNW graduates. The top school, both globally and nationally, is Harvard, which was found to have about 13,650 UHNW alumni over double the amount of Stanford and the University of Pennsylvania, which respectively ranked No. 2 and No. 3 on both the US and global lists.
The study also found that in the US, six out of the eight Ivy League universities ranked in the top 20. Private universities also dominated the list, with only five public institutions placing within the top 20.
In addition, the Wealth-X study found that most UHNW individuals who graduated from these institutions have wealth that is considered "self-made."
Interestingly, the top UHNW-producing schools aren't the same ones producing the most self-made millionaires. Keep reading to find out which American universities can count the most self-made millionaires among their UHNW alumni.
(Note that all UHNW alumni population figures and self-made wealth percentages are estimates from Wealth-X.)
- 7 defining differences between the ultra-wealthy and the 'millionaires next door'
- The 17 best hotels in the world, according to travelers
- The 25 best US tourist destinations to buy rental property in right now
SEE ALSO: The top 20 US universities with the wealthiest alumni, ranked
DON'T MISS: The typical starting salaries for graduates of the 30 best colleges, ranked