- Jeff Bezos , founder and CEO of Amazon, andwife MacKenzie Bezos have finalized the terms of their divorce .
- MacKenzie Bezos said she's granting Jeff Bezos all of her interests in the Washington Post and Blue Origin, and 75% of the Amazon stock co-owned by the pair.
- Depending on exactly how much money she gets, this is set to leave MacKenzie Bezos as the world's third- or fourth-richest woman, joining the ranks of Francoise Bettencourt Meyers and Alice Walton .
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jeff Bezos founded Amazon after he and MacKenzie Bezos got married , Business Insider's Shana Lebowitz reported. In the community property state of Washington, which dictates assets acquired during marriage to be split 50-50, that means MacKenzie Bezos could have a right to half of her husband's Amazon fortune if they didn't sign a prenup (which they reportedly didn't).
That could leave a wife divorcing the world's richest man who has an estimated net worth of nearly $150 billion as the world's richest woman; but that's not quite the case for Mackenzie Bezos.
In a Twitter statement on April 4, she said she's granting Jeff Bezos all of her interests in the Washington Post and Blue Origin, and 75% of the Amazon stock co-owned by the pair, as well as voting control over the shares she's retaining. Her remaining stake in Amazon is estimated to be worth about $35.7 billion at current prices, Business Insider's Avery Hartmans reported .
Depending on exactly how much money MacKenzie gets, she's set to rank as the world's third- or fourth-richest woman, according to various publications. Here's how the world's five richest women currently stack up, according to Forbes' real-time net worth profiles:
- Francoise Bettencourt Meyers $52.9 billion
- Alice Walton $45.4 billion
- Jacqueline Mars $25.9 billion
- Yang Huiyan $23.8 billion
- Susanne Klatten $20.8 billion
MacKenzie Bezos' role in Amazon dates back to the company's origins. She was one of Amazon's first employees and reportedly drove her husband cross-country while he drafted part of the company's business plan, according to Business Insider's Mark Abadi .
- Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos have finalized the terms of their divorce and she's set to come out of it as one of the richest women in the world
- A look inside the marriage of the richest couple in history, Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos who met at work, were engaged in 3 months, and are getting divorced after 25 years together
- Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos have finalized the terms of their divorce here's what typically happens when billionaires break up