- The best "off-map" restaurants in the world have been announced by the World Restaurant Awards .
- The list highlights under-the-radar and off-the-beaten-track culinary gems across the globe.
- From a shipping container fish shack in the UK to a dining experience in the Peruvian mountains, the restaurants may not be easy to find, but they're all worth a visit.
There are certain restaurants that seemingly everyone goes to. Sure, sometimes that's because they're brilliant, but other times, it's just because they've got a highly instagrammable flower wall.
Social media and the internet mean it's hard to find a hidden gem nowadays, but thereareunder-the-radar restaurants to be found if you know where to look.
To give you a helping hand, the World Restaurant Awards has unveiled its list of little-known restaurants across the globe that are worth visiting, from haute-cuisine to affordable.
"The Off-Map award is for restaurants in a remote location that are off-the-beaten-track and worth the journey," a spokesperson for the awards told Business Insider.
"They are not required to be a minimum or maximum number of miles away from a city, but the journey should be an uplifting and notable experience."
Read more: The 50 best restaurants in the world in 2018
The list is created by a gender-balanced judging panel of over 100 experts representing 36 different countries, including chefs, journalists, and industry influencers. Famous chefs such as Clare Smyth, David Chang, Yotam Ottolenghi, Ren Redzepi, Hlne Darroze, and Massimo Bottura were all part of the panel.
The winners of all categories will be announced at the World Restaurant Awards ceremony in Paris on February 18 2019.
Scroll down to see the top 28 "off-map" restaurants.
- Disappointing photos show what Venice looks like in real life, from extreme overcrowding and devastating floods to pollution from cruise ships
- The 13 best hotels in America in 2019
- 19 Michelin-starred New York City restaurants where you can get lunch for $50 or less
SEE ALSO: The 50 best bars in the world in 2018