- Automotive research firm iSeeCars.com has compiled a list of the 10 cars that are better purchased new than used due to the lower-than-average cost difference.
- The list is topped by the Honda HR-V, with a new model costing on average only $2,260 more than a used one.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
Sometimes, it's better to buy a new car over used to get the best bang for your buck.
According to a study done by automotive research firm iSeeCars.com , the Honda HR-V is the best car to buy new over used.
The website analyzed data from over 7 million new and used cars sold from Aug. 2018 to Jan. 2019 to compile a list of the 10 best cars to buy new. The new cars in the study were from the 2018 to 2019 model years, while the used were from the 2017 to 2018 model years. The price differences were then analyzed and averaged.
Car models with a low sample size or cars with outlier mileages were excluded from the study.
"Instead of buying a car that's already been driven for one year, consumers can buy the new version of select vehicles for just a few thousand dollars more to avoid the uncertainties that come with purchasing a used vehicle," iSeeCars CEO Phong Ly said in a prepared statement.
SUVs dominate the list, taking up seven spots on the list. The top three spots are occupied by subcompact SUVs. Ly claims this is because SUVs are more popular than sedans, and subcompacts are rapidly growing in demand because of its balance between SUV "perks" such as cargo room relative to the sedan "perk" of being cheaper.
It also found that the average new car costs 30.2% more than a used version from the year prior.
These are the 10 cars where the average for a new over a used car doesn't exceed a 14.7% difference:
- This luxurious tiny home on wheels was built for off-road vacations
- Here's how Tesla's cars stack up against the best of the competition from the world's top automakers
- This list of the 10 new cars owners keep the longest reveals just how much Americans love their SUVs and sports cars