- Zhang Yiming built a $16.2 billion fortune after founding ByteDance, the Chinese software developer behind TikTok.
- Despite being the 13th-wealthiest person in China, Zhang is extremely private and little is known about his personal life.
- TikTok's growing influence in the US has raised questions from US regulators.
The widespread popularity of TikTok has not just created a new generation of social media stars, it's also created a social media billionaire.
Zhang Yiming, the 35-year-old software engineer who founded the app's parent company, now has a net worth of $16.2 billion, Forbes estimates. Despite being the 13th-wealthiest person in China as ranked by the Bloomberg Billionaires Index , Zhang is extremely private and little is known about his personal life.
Keep reading to learn everything we know about Zhang Yiming.
- Billionaires in politics: The top 25 Americans who funded politics in 2018
- Companies run by billionaires performed twice as well as the market average in the last 15 years and it's part of the 'billionaire effect,' new study says
- The 'reclusive' billionaire who owns Coachella and part of the LA Lakers is also the richest man in Colorado here's how Philip Anschutz makes and spends his $11.4 billion fortune