- In March 2018, I left New York to travel around the world as Business Insider's international correspondent . In total, in my life, I've traveled to 30-plus countries.
- While traveling I've made tons of dumb mistakes that I'd like to avoid in the future. That includes everything from getting pickpocketed in the Mexico City metro to getting tricked by a fake taxi.
- Learn from my mistakes and save yourself some aggravation.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The idea that travel is an adventure is one of the oldest clichs in the book. But, it's aclich because it's true. And, on adventures, things go wrong. Often.
I've made so many mistakes while on the road that it would be impossible for me to recount them all. I've worn the wrong footwear on hikes and ended up with blisters as big as my heel. I've been pickpocketed not once, but twice. I've taken a metro in the wrong direction a dozen times. The mistakes never end.
But that's also what I love about travel: the constant sense of exploration, of trial and error, of sketching out new terrain on your mental map.
Below, I've collected as many of the mistakes as I can remember that I've made while traveling. There are a lot. Perhaps you'll learn from my mistakes and save yourself some aggravation.
- There's a '60s ski lodge-themed bar that sells $16 spiked hot chocolate on the rooftop of JFK's only airport hotel. Here's a look inside the retro 'runway chalet.'
- The hottest destination for RV travelers right now is a 200-acre park with natural springs in northern Florida, and it's becoming Instagram-famous for its unbelievably clear water
- Meet Yusaku Maezawa, the Japanese billionaire giving away $9 million on Twitter and looking for a 'female partner' to fly to the moon with him and Elon Musk
SEE ALSO: I traveled the world for 6 months, and here's the single best piece of advice I can give you for any trip you take
DON'T MISS: I've been traveling the world for 6 months, and I've found real life doesn't always live up to the hype. These are the most disappointing places I've been.