- Egypt is the top spot billionaires are traveling to in 2019, according to boutique luxury travel agency Original Travel .
- Egypt is rich in history, culture, and luxury, offering a little bit of something for everyone.
- There are a few sites, areas, and hotels, in particular, inspiring the wealthy to visit Egypt take a look below.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
The country came in first in Original Travel's ranking of top destinations where billionaires are headed in 2019 , which it determined by looking at the number of bookings and performance; the latter was assessed by a combination of feedbackand client inquiries. Their 2019 bookings for Egypt are set to triple last year's bookings, Amelia Stewart, brand ambassador for Original Travel, told Business Insider.
You don't have to look far to see Egypt 's appeal: It has a rich Pharaonic history and plenty of iconic landmarks, not to mention Greek, Roman, and Islamic influences to explore.
Like most travelers, billionaires visit Egypt to soak up its sights and history but they do so while taking advantage of Egypt's plentiful luxury offerings, from fine dining restaurants in Cairo to beach resorts along the coast of the Red Sea.
Below, see what's propelling billionaires to visit Egypt and what they're doing when they get there. Prices indicated for hotels are representative of rates booked two months in advance.
- Meet Franois Pinault, the French billionaire who just pledged $113 million to help rebuild the Notre-Dame, owns Christie's, and founded Kering, the luxury giant behind Gucci and Balenciaga
- Meet Bernard Arnault, the French billionaire who just pledged $226 million to help rebuild the Notre-Dame, controls luxury-goods empire LVMH, and is the third-richest person in the world
- Forget about the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx: I spent a month in Egypt, and the most spectacular site I visited was the ancient city of Thebes