- Success isn't confined to just one measure or definition.
- We rounded up some of the most successful people of the past year based on their influence and achievements in their field and industry.
- From the leaders shaping Silicon Valley to the creatives who are making Hollywood more diverse, the list spans a variety of industries with various types of impact.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories .
50 of the most successful people in the world in the past year
Andrew Lipovsky/NBC; Alex Wong/Getty; Hollis Johnson/Shayanne Gal/Business Insider
There's no one way to define success it comes in many shapes and forms.
Looking at various measures of success , we rounded up some of the most accomplished, influential people of the past year. We determined this list based on candidates' achievements in their field or industry and influence throughout 2018 and into the first four months of 2019. We also took net worth and name recognition into consideration.
From tech and sports to entertainment and fashion, the list spans a variety of industries. There's the world's youngest self-made billionaire, the Salinger of the millennial generation , the record-breaking superstar, the athlete with the most Super Bowl wins, the leaders shaping Silicon Valley, and the creatives who have opened up the door for diversity in Hollywood.
See below for some of the most successful people in the past year, ranked by birth year from youngest to oldest.
- Ralph Lauren just bought a charming Hamptons home for $16 million. Here's a look inside the 4-bedroom house and its 200 feet of oceanfront
- I went to an auction at the world-famous Christie's auction house, which sold $7 billion worth of art, jewelry, and luxury goods in 2018, and it was nothing like I'd expected
- Meet Craig 'Craigslist' Newmark, the self-professed 'nerd' who built a $1 billion online listing empire and donated $20 million to a media company that's now facing a massive editorial exodus
SEE ALSO: Meet the world's richest millennials, who have a collective net worth of more than $235 billion
DON'T MISS: The richest person at every age
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: