- Rafael Nadal , the powerhouse tennis player, won his fourth US Open and 19th Grand Slam title on September 8, 2019.
- Nadal is one of the highest-paid tennis players of all time , so it comes as no surprise that his virtually indestructible timepiece of choice the Richard Mille RM27-02 retails for $725,000.
- Many elite athletes like Nadal sport luxury watches.
- We spoke to the horological experts at Crown & Caliber to identify the makes and models of timepieces worn by 21 of the world's top athletes.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Expensive Swiss mechanical watches don't have much practical use on the field, court, or track, though it's not uncommon to see the world's biggest athletes wearing high-end, luxury timepieces during their events.
Rafael Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title at the US Open on September 8, putting him right behind Roger Federer 's record 20 Grand Slam titles. That kind of athletic prowess is a marketing tool. Watch brands are eager to sponsor elite athletes, from tennis champions like Nadal and Federer to fighters like Floyd Mayweather , not for their horological expertise but for their aura which sells.
When Nadal won his latest Grand Slam title, he was wearing his famed Richard Mille timepiece, which retails for roughly $725,000 .
We got a helping hand from the experts at Crown & Caliber to determine the makes and models of 21 timepieces worn by the world's top athletes. They are listed here in ascending order of price.
- Mark Cuban, who just sold a majority stake in his two cable networks, owns a $19 million Laguna Beach vacation home with walls that open up to views of the Pacific Ocean. Here's a look inside.
- Meet the Albrechts, the reclusive billionaire heirs to the Aldi and Trader Joe's empire
- Alibaba cofounder Jack Ma the richest person in China is retiring with a net worth of $38 billion. Here's his incredible rags-to-riches story.
SEE ALSO: How Rafael Nadal spends his fortune