- San Francisco is one of the wealthiest and most expensive cities in America.
- San Francisco 's high cost of living is due to its booming tech industry and proximity to Silicon Valley.
- The Bay Area could become even more expensive if tech IPOs go public this year, causing an influx of millionaires.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Home to tech workers, a public poop problem , and a high cost of living, San Francisco is in a league of its own.
The city ranked as one of the places with the top economies, according to an analysis of local economies in the US's 40 largest metro areas conducted by Business Insider . San Francisco's close proximity to Silicon Valley, considered the tech center of the world, has caused the city to become one of the wealthiest cities in America .
But that's resulted in an expensive life for Bay Area residents, including a housing crisis where most can't afford homes.
The cost of living could get even worse if several tech IPOs go public as planned in 2019, making San Francisco home to thousands of new millionaires by year's end, Nellie Bowles of The New York Times reported.
Here are 13 mind-blowing facts that show just how expensive San Francisco really is.
- A California estate once belonging to former President Richard Nixon is on the market again for over $17 million less than its original price here's a look inside the 9-bedroom, 14-bath estate known as the 'Western White House'
- 7 ways millennials are changing marriage, from signing prenups to staying together longer than past generations
- Americans think they need more than $2 million to be considered wealthy, but that's nothing compared to what residents in San Francisco say