- Some of the richest people who currently live in the United States were not born here.
- Several billionaires including Tesla CEO Elon Musk , real-estate developer Jorge Perez, Panda Express founder Andrew Cherng, and Chobani CEO Hamdi Ulukaya first came to the United States for college.
- Financier George Soros first immigrated to the UK while fleeing Soviet occupation in his native Hungary, before moving to New York to become a stock trader, Business Insider previously reported.
The United States is home to more billionaires than any other nation, according to research firm Wealth-X but not all of them were born here.
Several billionaires including Tesla CEO Elon Musk , real-estate developer Jorge Perez, Panda Express founder Andrew Cherng , and Chobani CEO Hamdi Ulukaya first came to the United States for college. Others immigrated to the United States with their families as children.
Keep reading to learn more about some of the most prominent immigrant billionaires in the country.
- The 15 richest people in India, ranked
- Billionaire Marc Benioff is asking for higher taxes on America's wealthiest people and he's just the latest in the chorus of ultra-wealthy people with the same demand
- A real-estate billionaire who was the first in his family to attend college just pledged $100 million to fund scholarships for first-generation students at his alma mater, UVA
SEE ALSO: Luck vs. skill: The founders behind major businesses like Bumble, Shopify, and Away explain what their success boils down to and they all have different takes
DON'T MISS: Forever 21 just filed for bankruptcy and the husband and wife duo who founded it have lost nearly $4 billion from their personal net worths since 2015