- The state-run oil company is currently aiming to list as much as 5% of its shares sometime between 2020 and 2021.
- Saudi officials have suggested Aramco may be worth as much as $2 trillion in the past, which means the company could raise close to $100 billion through an IPO.
- Here are 10 IPOs that Aramco could dwarf with its proposed multi-billion-dollar public offering.
- Visit the Markets Insider homepage for more stories.
Saudi Aramco is gearing up for what could be the largest IPO ever. Here are 10 public offerings its massive listing would dwarf.
Saudi Aramco is preparing for what could turn out to be the world's largest initial public offering.
Saudi Aramco is preparing for what could shape up to be the world's largest initial public offering.
The massive state-run oil company is looking to list as much as 5% of its shares sometime in 2020 or 2021. Aramco officials have suggested the company could be worth as much as $2 trillion in the past.
If Aramco were to list 5% of its shares at a $2 trillion valuation, it could raise as much $100 billion through the offering. That's four times the largest IPO in history.
Markets Insider is looking for a panel of millennial investors. If you're active in the markets, CLICK HERE to sign up.
The company is also considering a multi-stage IPO, listing about 1% on Saudi Arabia's stock exchange and another 1% on an international venue prior to its 5% offering.The proceeds from the IPO are expected to help Saudi Arabia diversify its economy away from oil.
The public markets have seen some sizeable IPOs this year, from Uber raising $8.1 billion to Pinteres t raking in $1.4 billion. But not a single public offering from this year cracks the top ten largest listings of all time.
Here are the 10 largest IPOs that Saudi Aramco's potential listing could blow out of the water, ranked in increasing order of proceeds:
10. Deutsche Telekom AG
Date of IPO: November 1996
Amount raised during IPO: $13 billion
Industry: Social media
Date of IPO : May 2012
Amount raised during IPO: $16 billion
Industry: Gas and Electric
Date of IPO : November 1999
Amount raised during IPO: $17.4 billion
7. AIA Group
Date of IPO : October 2010
Amount raised during IPO: $17.8 billion
Date of IPO : March 2008
Amount raised during IPO: $17.9 billion
5. NTT DOCOMO
Date of IPO : October 1998
Amount raised during IPO: $18.4 billion
4. General Motors
Bill Pugliano/Getty Images
Date of IPO : November 2010
Amount raised during IPO: $20.1 billion
3. Industrial and Commercial of China
Date of IPO : October 2006
Amount raised during IPO: $21.9 billion
2. Agricultural Bank of China
AP/Ng Han Guan
Date of IPO :July 2010
Amount raised during IPO: $22.1 billion
Date of IPO : September 2014
Amount raised during IPO: $25 billion
- A Wall Street strategist has doubled down on his warning that the 'biggest bubble in history' will burst. Here are the 12 stocks he says investors should buy to weather the storm.
- The 50 best video games of all time, according to critics
- Pete Buttigieg is running for president in 2020. Here's everything we know about the candidate and how he stacks up against the competition.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: