David Warner said there is a "very, very realistic chance" that he will be able to make his return in the Sheffield Shield next week.
Australia vice-captain David Warner has given a positive update on his broken thumb as he attempts to prove his fitness for the start of the Test series against New Zealand.
The opening batsman has been out of action since suffering a break to his left thumb when he was struck by a Steven Finn delivery in the one-day international series against England last month.
Warner revealed earlier this week that the break had not yet healed, but was given good news following an X-ray on Friday.
The 28-year-old left-hander is hopeful of being able to play in New South Wales' opener versus South Australia, which starts on October 28, and the first Test against the Black Caps the following week.
Speaking on Channel 9's Wide World of Sports on Friday, Warner said: "It's been a long five weeks, going on six weeks so far.
"I had an X-ray this morning and got some good news. The break has started to come together and I'm going to have a little light hit on Tuesday morning with just some underarm throws and stuff and then get into it on Thursday, Friday.
"I will just manage it as well as I can, I'll probably face bowlers the day before we leave for Adelaide (to face South Australia).
"Just so I don't have the recurrence of being hit by one of the bowlers on that thumb.
"But there's a very, very realistic chance I'm going to be playing in that Shield match."