The importance of knowing teens consumer trend cannot be over emphasized when running an online shop for teens.
In addition, you should also know that teenagers are always looking for the latest games, fashion, movies, gifts and other similar things. There are some whose lives cannot be separated from the web. And this makes it easier to realize that they should be the targeted customers when it comes to starting an online shop.
However, there are other key factors that must be considered, if success is the desired result.
So, thinking of starting an online shop for teens? Here are six steps to guide you:
1. Create a business plan: Any business without an organised plan is doomed to failure. No one in his right senses would start or invest in a business without a business plan. A business plan is critical and essential for the development and successfulness of any business; be it online or offline. A business plan for an online business should include the approach that will be used for financing, marketing, and advertising of the business. It should also establish a clear idea of how the possibility of success would come about. A summary of financial plans, operational procedures, company policies, and your future projection. And know also that your business plan is imperative for obtaining business loans and credit.
2. Know what is trending: It is almost difficult for aged people to run after that which is trending. It is the nature of teens to do so. Knowing teens consumer trend is one key factor that cannot be over emphasized when it comes to running an online store for teenagers. You can come to know this by reviewing consumer reports for best-selling teen items, and by browsing the teen magazines or asking around at the mall.
3. Choose the product you intend to sell: It is believed that you've come to know the demands of teens based on inquiry; now, it is time to outline the product you intend to sell. Be it clothes, jewelry, games, ring tones, CDs, DVDs, perfumes, makeups, e.t.c. And a thorough detail concerning them should be pinned out. Their colours, sizes, and other features should be pinned out. And also, a competent supplier should be picked before hand if you’re not manufacturing your product yourself. And how to redistribute or ship out products, should also be mapped out.
4. Design a website: When designing your website, remember to choose a domain name that is relevant to the interest of teens. And try to incorporate search engine optimization techniques to increase your page ranking while creating your content. Do not forget to include photos and detailed descriptions your items. You can hire a website developer to help if you’re not experienced in website designing.
5. Open a merchant account: Because all transactions concerning online deals are done electronically, it now becomes a thing of paramount importance to have a merchant account. It is your merchant account that allows you to take electronic payments by processing credit, debit, and e-check sales. The funds are then deposited into your account -- minus any applicable service charges -- and can then be withdrawn or transferred to your bank. Once you've opened a merchant's account, integrate the account with your website shopping cart system to process online sales.
6. Market your business: It’s time to reach out to your targeted audience, the moment your website is ready. Marketing and advertising strategies must be mapped out to expand the outreach of your business; for it is the created awareness that calls forth customers from far and wide. Internet marketing is one of the most economical and effective ways to advertise an online store for teens. Create teen-friendly business profiles on social networking sites like Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter to make friends with teen groups and share links to your store.