Pulse.ng logo
Go

Islamic State ISIS launches wave of suicide attacks on Libya forces

The attacks on Tuesday in the coastal city left nine pro-government fighters dead and 82 wounded, said Reda Issa, a spokesman for forces allied with the unity government.

  • Published:
IS launches wave of suicide attacks on Libya forces play

A pro-government fighter fires a rocket-propelled grenade launcher towards Islamic State group positions in Sirte on August 16, 2016 

(AFP)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Islamic State group jihadists in Libya have carried out nine suicide bombings in one day in a failed bid to hold a central district of Sirte, pro-government forces said Wednesday.

The attacks on Tuesday in the coastal city left nine pro-government fighters dead and 82 wounded, said Reda Issa, a spokesman for forces allied with the unity government.

They took place as forces loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA), backed by US air strikes, advanced on Sirte's central District Two as part of a three-month offensive to oust the jihadists from the city.

An IS fighter blew up his vehicle close to a group of soldiers and journalists, wounding several, said an AFP photographer.

Five of the bombers attacked using cars, one on a motorbike and three on foot, said the pro-GNA forces, which published several photos of the bombers' corpses.

IS seized Sirte, 450 kilometres (280 miles) east of Tripoli, in June 2015 and turned it into its North African stronghold, but they now hold just a few pockets of the city.

Vehicles of pro-government fighters burn after an IS group suicide bomber detonated explosives nearby on August 16, 2016  play

Vehicles of pro-government fighters burn after an IS group suicide bomber detonated explosives nearby on August 16, 2016 

(AFP)

 

Pro-GNA forces launched an offensive in mid-May to retake the city, which they entered on June 9, facing heavy resistance as they moved towards the centre.

The US Africa Command said Wednesday that it had carried out nine more air strikes on IS targets in Sirte on Tuesday in support of the pro-GNA forces, bringing the total number to 57 since August 1.

Last week the pro-government fighters seized a conference centre in the city used by IS as its command centre.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.