ISIS Islamist fundamentalist group claims attacks on embassies in Libya

Taking to Twitter, the group said they were responsible for both attacks, which are the latest strikes against foreigners, embassies or oil fields in Libya.

  • Published:
play (Telegraph)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Islamic State has claimed the attacks on the South Korean and Moroccan embassies which happened yesterday and this morning, respectively.

Taking to Twitter, the group said they were responsible for both attacks, which are the latest strikes against foreigners, embassies or oil fields in Libya.

On Sunday, gunmen had opened fire from a passing car on a security post at the South Korean embassy, killing a Libyan security guard and a civilian, while a second guard was wounded.

According to Reuters, a South Korean foreign ministry official in the capital, Seoul said there were no Korean casualties, adding that the embassy was staffed by two foreign service officials and one administrative staff member

While earlier this morning, a bomb exploded at the gate of the Morcoccan embassy destroying the gate and a residential building next to the building which is located in the up market Ben Ashour district. No one was however injured in the explosion.

Libyan militants professing loyalty to ISIS have claimed several high-profile attacks on foreigners in Libya this year, including an assault on the Corinthia Hotel in Tripoli, the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians as well as several assaults on embassies such as those of Egypt and Algeria in Tripoli.

Majority of the embassies are however mostly empty as most countries have pulled out diplomatic staff because of the security situation.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.