In South Africa Authorities say gold mine to stay shut until bodies found

Vantage said last month that operations were set to resume at the mine following a $11 million investment from Canada's AfriCan Resources Gold.

  • Published:
Security guards keep watch at the entrance of the Lily mine, which is owned by Vantage Goldfields, near Barberton, east of Johannesburg, February 5, 2016. play Security guards keep watch at the entrance of the Lily mine, which is owned by Vantage Goldfields, near Barberton, east of Johannesburg, February 5, 2016. (REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

South Africa's Lily gold mine will remain closed until the bodies of three trapped miners are recovered and the operation can be run safely, mines minister Mosebenzi Zwane said on Friday.

Almost 90 miners were rescued after a cave-in at the mine, operated by Australia-based Vantage Goldfields, in February.

Vantage said last month that operations were set to resume at the mine following a $11 million investment from Canada's AfriCan Resources Gold.

South Africa's mines are the deepest and among the most dangerous in the world. The number of deaths in the industry has fallen due to improved safety practices and a reduction in the labour force as production declines.

Last year, 77 workers were killed in mining accidents, compared with 84 in 2014.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.