10 people have lost their lives in a twin blast that rocked Russia while 50 others have been reportedly injured.
According to a report by CNN, the twin explosions also left at least 50 injured in the city.
It was also reported that one of the explosions took place on a subway car at the Sennaya Ploshchad station.
Confirming the blast, spokesman of President Valdimir Putin, Dmitry Peskov, said the President visited the city earlier on Monday, but that he was now in the nearby city of Strelna.
“I have already spoken to the head of our special services, they are working to ascertain the cause,” Peskov reportedly said, at a meeting with Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko.
President Putin has reportedly expressed his condolences to the victims and is talking to the FSB security services about the investigation, according to state media.
It was further reported that all of St. Petersburg’s metro stations- Victory Park, Electrosila, Moscow Gate, Frunzenskaya, Technological Institute, Sennaya Ploshchad, Gostiny Dvor, have been shut at the entrance and exit points.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks while the Moscow metro officials said extra security measures have been introduced as a result of the blast.