Here are some of the worst attacks in the Afghan capital over the past year and a half.
Here are some of the worst attacks in the Afghan capital over the past year and a half:
- January 20: A Taliban suicide bomber rams his car into a minibus belonging to television channel Tolo, killing seven of its employees, in the first major attack on the Afghan media.
- February 1: Twenty police officers are killed and 29 people injured in a Taliban suicide attack on a police base in Kabul.
- February 27: A suicide bomber blows himself up outside the defence ministry, killing 12 in an attack claimed by the Taliban.
- April 19: A truck bomb followed by a shootout leaves 64 people dead and more than 340 injured in central Kabul in a Taliban-claimed attack.
- May 25: Ten people are killed in a Taliban suicide attack targeting a minibus carrying court employees in a western Kabul suburb.
- June 20: Fourteen Nepalese security guards employed by Western embassies are killed on the outskirts of Kabul, in a Taliban assault.
- June 30: A double suicide attack by the Taliban against a convoy of police recruits leaves 30 dead.
- July 23: Islamic State jihadists claim responsibility for twin explosions that rips through crowds of Shiite Hazaras in Kabul, killing at least 85 people and wounding more than 400.
- August 25: Sixteen people are killed after militants storm the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, in a nearly 10-hour raid that was not claimed.
- September 5: A double Taliban attack near the defence ministry leaves 41 dead and more than a hundred injured.
Overnight a third attack, which was not claimed, targets aid group CARE International in central Kabul. Six are injured.
- October 12: Islamic State claim responsibility for an attack on a shrine that kills at least 18 people gathering to mark Ashura, one of the most important Shiite festivals.
- October 19: Two Americans including a civilian are killed when a gunman opens fire near a NATO base in Kabul, with Afghan officials calling it an "insider attack".
- November 21: A massive suicide blast targeting Shiites kills at least 27 people and wounds 64 at a Kabul mosque in another sectarian attack claimed by IS.
- January 10: Twin blasts near the Afghan parliament kill 38 people and wound 86.
- February 7: A suicide bomb rips through a crowd of Supreme Court employees, killing at least 20 and wounding 41. No group claims responsibility.
- March 1: Sixteen people are killed in simultaneous Taliban suicide assaults on two security compounds.
- March 8: Gunmen disguised as doctors storm Afghanistan's largest military hospital in a six-hour attack officially claimed by IS. The official death toll is 50 but security sources and survivors say it exceeded 100.
- May 3: A powerful blast targeting a foreign forces convoy near the US embassy and NATO headquarters kills at least eight people and wounds 28 during morning rush hour.
- May 31: At least 80 people are killed and hundreds wounded when a massive truck bomb rips through Kabul's diplomatic quarter, shattering windows hundreds of metres away.