In an angry worded statement, Education Minister Joseph Kaimenyi, said the UASU was spreading "unfounded rumours"
The Kenyan government has debunked claims in some quarters alleging that 166 students of the Garissa Univeristy are still missing following the attack on the school last week.
According to Kenyan media report, the Universities Academic Staff Union (UASU) had said on Tuesday that they feared the missing students had been kidnapped by al-Shabab.
The group said that 815 students are confirmed to have been enrolled at Garissa University College and that 663 students were rescued while the government gives the student death toll as 142, which, when added to the number rescued, still leaves 10 students unaccounted for.
The UASU Secretary General Muga K'Olale then said on Wednesday that he feared the students he said were missing "might have been kidnapped by al-Shabab, and the government should come clean about their whereabouts".
But in an angry worded statement, Education Minister Joseph Kaimenyi, said the UASU was spreading "unfounded rumours" and it was "unfortunate" that the group would make these claims which would only "exacerbate pain and suffering of parents and relatives in mourning".
Earlier in the week, Kenyans staged a protest against the al-Shabab attack on the Garissa University which left 142 people dead.