It's time to bring out your savings. Call your aunties, uncles and distant cousins. The new iPhone is here.
Yesterday, the technology giant Apple broke the internet with the launch of new devices in its now-iconic iPhone series.
In the Apple event which was broadcast from their Steve Jobs Theater at the new Apple Campus in California, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced three new phones; the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X.
Of all three, the iPhone X (pronounced "iPhone Ten") has gathered the most attention since the event; it was announced to mark the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone. The device is filled with features that will have you scrambling for your savings.
Here are 5 reasons why you should be excited about the iPhone X.
(1) You can unlock your phone with facial recognition: The iPhone X comes with Face ID, an enhanced facial recognition feature that uses the new True Depth camera system to instantly recognize the owner’s face.
Thanks to eight different cameras and sensors, the system works even if you’re wearing glasses, if you change your hairstyle or grow a beard.
There’s also an infrared capability that allows the facial recognition software work in low light. Beyond unlocking the phone, Face ID will also work with Apple Pay and other apps that feature security requirements.
(2) You can create your own personalized emojis: This new feature is called Animoji, short for Animated Emoji.
Users will be able to use the iPhone X’s facial recognition software to create 3D animated versions of emojis based on their facial expressions.
You can edit the emojis before sending them; once they are sent, users will receive them as looping videos with audio; sort of a high-resolution gif with sound.
(3) Man of Steel... and Glass: The iPhone X comes in a groundbreaking glass and steel design. The bulk of the phone is made of high-density glass; the iPhone X has glass in front and back.
Around the sides, there is “surgical-grade” stainless steel.
These features may mean that users will have to handle the device with extreme care, but there is some consolation in the fact that the iPhone X is water-resistant.
(4) The iPhone X has no home button: While this is not new (several leaked photos showed the new iPhone would have no home button), it is made all the more impressive because the screen covers the front of the iPhone X.
That’s all tthere is; no buttons, just 5.8 inches of OLED beauty, the first of its kind on an iPhone. Apple has introduced gestures to replace the functions of the home button.
Swiping up from the bottom of the screen will bring the user to the home screen. To open the app rack, simply swipe up from the bottom and pause midway.
(5) Everything else: Because it is an anniversary product released alongside two other phones, Apple has spared nothing to take the iPhone X beyond mere brilliance.
There is a new dual-lens camera system on the back of the iPhone X, supported with new software that ensures dual optical image stabilization.
The device also features a new A11 bionic chipset with 6 cores, making processes faster than ever. Apple has also improved the phone’s battery life by 2 hours, compared to the iPhone 7.