Recovered $50M APC spokesman says EFCC should reveal true owner of Ikoyi cash

The EFCC, on Wednesday, April 12, recovered the money in separate sums of $43 million, N23 million and £27,000 from a luxury flat in Ikoyi.

  • Published:
Comrade Timi Frank play

Comrade Timi Frank

(Pulse)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Timi Frank has urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to reveal the owner of the $50 million recently recovered in Lagos.

The EFCC, on Wednesday, April 12, recovered the money in separate sums of $43 million, N23 million and £27,000 from a luxury flat in Ikoyi.

Frank made the call via an open letter written to President Muhammadu Buhari on the issue.

The letter reads in part:

“Mr. President, I want to also say that it is time you fulfill this administration's promise to disclose to Nigerians how much has been recovered so far and from whom they were recovered.”

“The fact that such illicit funds have been hauled in by the EFCC and publicly displayed is commendable.  However, I call on Mr. President to step in through another competent security agency like the Department of State Services (DSS) to independently investigate and unravel the true owner of the fund in order to put the present controversy to rest.

“Else, a day will come when a government agency will be caught with money in strange places and the case in issue will be used as a precedent.

“Majority of Nigerians believe that there should be no secrecy in the fight against corruption because they want to know both the small and the big thieves if any. They want to know those who through nefarious activities have foisted the present economic hardship on them - be they big or small.

“Moreover as a result of the many pertinent questions on the minds of Nigerians in view of the controversy that has trailed the Ikoyi discovery and as a party man that is close to 'ordinary Nigerians', I feel inclined to ask questions.”

ALSO READNIA says it won’t go to court to claim ownership of $50M

The recovery of the funds has been surrounded by controversy since the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) claimed the money was allocated to it for covert operations.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.