Fayemi Ekiti Assembly orders police to arrest ex-governor over alleged N40bn fraud

The Assembly gave the order on Tuesday, February 7, after Fayemi failed to appear before it to defend himself against fraud allegations.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
The moment Reps passed vote of no confidence on Fayemi play The Minister of Mines and Steel Development Kayode Fayemi speaks during an exclusive interview with Reuters in Abuja, Nigeria October 11, 2016. Picture taken October 11, 2016. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde (The Nation)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Ekiti State House of Assembly has urged the police to arrest former Governor, Kayode Fayemi over alleged corruption.

The Assembly gave the order on Tuesday, February 7, after Fayemi failed to appear before it to defend himself against fraud allegations.

“During Governor Kayode Fayemi’s government, he awarded a N304m contract for planting of flowers for urban renewal project in Ado Ekiti. Over 50% of the contract sum had been paid but there is no single flower anywhere,” Chairman, House Committee on Information, Dr. Samuel Omotoso told journalists in Ado-Ekiti.

“The former governor also purchased 133 vehicles for royal fathers. The vehicles were given out in August 2013 and the contract papers were done in November. This was a clear case of misappropriation.

“He also paid N24m for the construction of Awedele Market. The money was paid to a phoney company and no construction was seen. The most disturbing was that, eight days to the expiration of his tenure, Fayemi withdrew a sum of N852m from University Basic Education Commission account which he was not a signatory to and diverted to other areas we could not trace.

“The former governor also paid a sum of N115m for the construction of a new Governor’s office. But no structure was put in place as we speak. The same was witnessed in the construction of the State Pavilion, the governor’s lodge and the 5km road projects, where billions were diverted. He even took N4bn loan four days before he left office.

“All these needed explanations. The summon was not meant to harass him. This is just an opportunity for him to clear his name. But should The security agencies failed to bring him here, then we will go the legal way, because we have the constitutional powers to summon any former or serving chief executive,” he added.

Meanwhile, Fayemi has said he won't be distracted by the childish allegations of fraud levelled against his administration by the Ekiti Assembly.

ALSO READ: Fayemi condemns Ekiti Assembly over N40B fraud allegation

Fayemi, who was succeeded as governor by Ayo Fayose, is currently the Minister of Mines and Steel Development.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.