Ngige Minister says looters will stop returning money if their names are published

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo had earlier explained that the names were being kept secret to preserve the integrity of the government’s investigations.

  • Published:
Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige play

Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige

(Information Nigeria)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige has explained why the federal government is refusing to publish the names of persons who looted the country’s funds.

According to Ngige, the government doesn’t want to scare the looters into keeping the money.

The minister also said that the names are being kept secret for legal reasons, The Nation reports.

Ngige reportedly made the remarks while addressing officials of Nigeria’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations office in Geneva, Switzerland.

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo had earlier explained that the names were being kept secret to preserve the integrity of the government’s investigations.

“We have released the list of recovered loot, we know people are asking for the names, but releasing the names may jeopardize ongoing investigations,” Osinbajo said according to a statement released by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande on Monday, June 6, 2016.

Information Minister, Lai Mohammed also said that President Muhammadu Buhari was advised against releasing the looters’ names.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.