Civil society groups and labour unions recently condemned the lawmakers' actions, accusing them of being insensitive.
Most Nigerians, including civil society groups and labour unions recently condemned the lawmakers, and accused them of being insensitive.
Abulmumin Jibrin, the suspended lawmaker, has however dismissed claims by his colleagues that the cars will be used for oversight functions.
Here are the six reasons Jibrin gave to support his stance that the Reps do not need the cars.
1. Jibrin said that it is an outright lie that the cars are needed for oversight.
2. 80 per cent of oversight activities of the House of Representatives are carried out in Abuja.
3. In almost all instances it is the MDA’s that arrange buses to convey members from the premises of the House to the respective MDA.
4. In such areas that are far away from Abuja, members always use flights to the nearest location while the MDAs arrange vehicles and other logistics to complete the visit.
5. Even if we assume that the cars are needed, it is unfair to further put additional N4bn into such a wasteful venture while at the same time members pocket about N10m monthly.
6. The MDAs provide accommodation and pay for the tickets and other logistics.
The former Chairman of the House of Representatives Appropriation Committee, left the country recently, following alleged threats to his life.