Director, University Health Services, FUT, said that self-medication was “very dangerous” and must be avoided.
Taofeek, who spoke on Saturday in Minna, at an orientation programme for Pre-Degree and IJMB studentsto, said that self-medication was “very dangerous” and must be avoided.
The Director, who was represented by Dr. Fidelis Ajeonuma, advised the students to visit the University Health Centre for diagnosis and medication, instead of venturing into the unknown.
“Medical staff are always available and ready for you at the medical centre. They are there for you, make use of them,” he said.
He said that self medication was as dangerous as inaccurate diagnosis with treatment based on such assumptions usually riddled with deadly side effects.
“When you self-medicate, the right advice is delayed; self medication causes inaccurate dosage that leads to overdose.
“It also leads to mixing medications that are not safe to be mixed, which could result into legal costs or health concerns.
“It also leads to the abuse of drugs because one is already delving into an area he has no knowledge of,” he said.
Taofeek said that self medication had often led to severe health complications and even death.