Fayose 'You're not God,' Governor condemns Buhari for sacking budget DG

Fayose insists that the President withdraws the budget, saying sacking one person would “national embarrassment generated by the errors of the budget”.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
Ekiti state Governor, Ayodele Fayose. play

Ekiti state Governor, Ayodele Fayose.

(The Cable)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Ekiti state governor, Ayodele Fayose, has said the removal of the director-general of budget,  Yahaya Gusau, over the controversial 2016 budget is insufficient.

Fayose insists that the President withdraws the budget, saying sacking one person would “national embarrassment generated by the errors of the budget”.

In a statement issued by his special assistant on public communications and new media, Lere Olayinka, he said Buhari should adopt a holistic approach than just making someone a scapegoat.

READ: NASS suspends passage of 2016 Budget indefinitely

He statement reads:  “Padding of the budget with strange figures, now being denied by ministers was a clear intention to steal in advance.

“Though it is good that the president listened to my call for the punishment of those responsible for the national embarrassment, mere sacking of officers at the budget office will not remove the stain splashed on Nigeria by the shameful budget.

“Sacking one or two persons on this budget scam is just like using some people as cover-up for the national embarrassment caused by the president himself. Even the president himself signed a letter wrongly dated as October 22, 2016 and one is tempted to ask who the president will sack for these avoidable errors.

“Or was it the sacked DG of Budget Office the one who unilaterally put all those bogus figures like N3.8 billion for Aso Villa Clinic, N780 million for website in one single ministry, and others in the budget?

“In my own opinion, it is necessary that those handling the president should bring it to his consciousness that he is not God that cannot make mistakes and this budget scam must be seen as part of the mistakes that President Buhari is capable of making.

“By doing this, the president will be provided with another opportunity to re-present the budget because I wonder how Nigeria can operate on a budget already disowned by notable ministers, including the government’s spokesperson.

“Or what remedy can anyone do to a budget in which 2015 budgetary allocations of an agency was reproduced verbatim? Even N180 million was discovered to have been allocated to NIMET twice."

Following last week's the disclosure of the Minister of health, Professor Isaac Adeoye, that the budget his ministry submitted to the budget office was not the same presented to the National Assembly, Fayose had criticized the Buhari administration, describing the 2016 budget as a national embarrassment.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.