Dokpesi CBN staff says AIT boss followed due process to get N2.1B

A CBN staff, who is also a prosecution witness in the trial of Dokpesi, has said the AIT boss followed due process in getting N2.1billion.

  • Published:
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The payment of N2.1billion Naira from the Central Bank of Nigeria to Raymond Dokpesi's Daar Communication was done according to due process, EFCC's witness says.

Aliyu Mohammed, the witness and staff of the Central Bank made this disclosure on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at the ongoing trial of Raymond Dokpesi.

Mohammed told a Federal High Court in Abuja that the payments made to the defendant were legitimate and had followed the required standard as expected by the apex bank.

Responding to questions from Rotimi Jacobs, the prosecution counsel, Mohammed explained how disbursements of funds follow a given procedure where verifications for payment-instruments are made before they are finally authorised.

In his words: “The procedure for payment is such that the paying organisation will bring the payment instrument through an officer authorised to do so. The officer will confirm the mandate before us by writing his name, signature, status, phone number and thumbprint as well as the date. After we receive it, it will be passed for verification.

“The verification will include cheque of the authorised signatories of that account, (operators of the account). The mandate must also be written in a letter headed-paper. The date and account number to be debited will also be included," he explained.

ALSO READ: EFCC re-arraign former AIT Chairman over N2.1B arms deal

Continuing, Mohammed said: “After the verification exercise we will check whether they have complied with all due processes for the payment. We will then pass it for payment and debit the account stated in the mandate while crediting the beneficiary accordingly.”

Mohammed further explained how his office had authorised the disbursements of over N2 billion in four trenches to Daar Communications early last year.

Dokpesi is facing trial for alleged involvement in the diversion of $2.1billion meant for the purchase of arms by the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.