The group is demanding for the return of the ex-minister to face prosecution in the country.
Demonstrators of the 'Our Mumu Don Do' movement launched their two-day sit-out protest at the Abuja office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to demand for the extradition of former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke.
Alison-Madueke has been linked to a slew of corruption cases, with courts seizing assets and funds that have been suspected to be proceeds of her loot.
Despite the mountain of allegations against her, she has holed up in London for years, where she is also facing prosecution for alleged bribery, corruption and money laundering.
In a statement released by the group of protesters last week, they urged the anti-graft agency to file for the extradition of the former minister so that she can return to the country and be prosecuted for her crimes.
ALSO READ: EFCC not responsible for Diezani's return
While speaking at the protest on Monday, August 28, 2017, co-convener of the protest, Deji Adayanju, said the anti-graft agency is not doing enough to fight corruption in the country without waiting for approval from the presidency.
He said the agency should be more active in its fight against corruption and promptly prosecute anyone that's suspected to be tied to accruing illicit wealth at the country's expense.
He said, "We want Diezani and others who have been alleged of corruption to be put on trial. For two years, we've been saying Diezani stole so much money. Why is she not on trial?
"If they know they don't want to bring her back, why is the Federal Government not supporting the British government to jail Diezani?
"If somebody stole $10 billion from Nigeria and there's proof that she stole $10 billion from Nigeria, or $5 billion from Nigeria, why is she free? Why is she enjoying the money in London? Why is she not on trial.
"Those are the simple questions we're asking.
"There have been allegations of corruption in the Central Bank of Nigeria where they said they're hoarding forex. This house here (EFCC) should not wait for Baba (President Muhammadu Buhari) to tell them to investigate.
"They should catch every thief that's stealing our money. They don't need to wait for directive.
"Somebody has been alleged of collecting N120 billion, this house should not wait for order from above. They should act.
"If this house discovers that a Nigerian has N50 million in his account, and does not have any source of livelihood, they should naturally investigate such people. You don't need to wait for Aso Rock to give you instruction.
"We're saying that EFCC should be proactive and fight corruption and not just talk about it. For over two years, we've been talking about fighting corruption, but we've not actually been fighting it.
"We're also asking, 'Who is the owner of $43.3 million found in Ikoyi?' Another money was found in Kaduna Airport, but we can no longer hear anything about that.
"Who is the owner of this money? All this money that the EFCC has recovered, where is it? How much is it? From who and who did they recover the money from?
"The Nigerian masses who are suffering want people who stole their money to be arrested and put on trial. If they're found guilty, they should be jailed."
The EFCC Secretary, Emmanuel Aremu, spoke with the protesters and assured them that the agency is doing its best to make sure that the former minister is brought back to the country to face trial.
The sit-out protest will continue tomorrow as announced by the group headed by activist and entertainer, Charles Oputa, popularly known as Charly Boy.
ALSO READ: The unbelievable figures of Diezani's loot
The EFCC has obtained court rulings that have ordered the seizure of properties and funds linked to the former minister over the past few months.
On Tuesday, August 22, a Federal High Court in Lagos ordered the interim forfeiture of assets valued at $16,441,906 linked to her.
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, Justice Chuka Obiozor of a Lagos Federal High Court also ordered the interim forfeiture of the sum of N7,646,700,000 linked to the former minister after the EFCC filed an ex parte application.
This ruling came only days after a Federal High Court, also in Lagos, ordered the permanent forfeiture of a $37.5m Banana Island mansion owned by the former minister on Monday, August 7.
In addition to the building, the court also ordered the permanent forfeiture of the sums of $2,740,197.96 and N84,537,840.70 realised as rents on the property.
On Tuesday, August 8, the EFCC revealed that its operatives discovered boxes of gold, silver and diamond jewellery from the Abuja residences of the former minister.
At the request of Nigerian authorities, a London court also ordered the forfeiture of three London properties worth £10 million that were linked to the minister.