Chibok Girls 'Why we shunned BBOG march' - Parents of missing girls

The parents said that they did not want to antagonise the government which is in the best position to help them find their missing daughters.

  • Published:
Esther Yakubu, mother of abducted Chibok girl, Dorcas Yakubu, with another parent play

Esther Yakubu, mother of abducted Chibok girl, Dorcas Yakubu, with another parent

(Gist Mania)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Parents of the missing Chibok girls have said they did not join the protest led by the Bring Back Our Girls group on Monday, August 22, in Abuja.

Speaking to NAN on the telephone, leader of the missing girls’ parents who lives in Chibok, Yakubu Nkeki, said that the parents agreed at a meeting last week that they would not participate in the march.

“All we want is our missing daughters and we are willing to work with anybody who will help us find our daughters,” Nkeki said.

He added that they did not want to antagonise the government which is in the best position to help them find their missing daughters.

“We do not want to do anything that the government will not be happy about,” Yana Galang, the women leader said.

“We are not after any organisation that is against any party or religion, and we are supporting the federal government to help us release our girls,” she added.

Also speaking, the secretary of the parents association, Zannah Lawan, said: “Our own is that we want our daughters.

"Anyone who has the ability to help us to find our daughters is the person we will work with."

ALSO READ: Buhari urged to reject Boko Haram swap

The parents described the unpleasant experience they had during their last protest march in Abuja, when angry comments made by some of the activists who accompanied them to see the president irritated President Muhammadu Buhari to the point where he spoke sharply and dropped his microphone.