Chibok Girls 21 girls released, FG confirms

A military helicopter was said to have picked them up from Banki area of Borno state where terrorists dropped them off.

  • Published:
Chibok girls play

Suspected Chibok girls in a Boko Haram video released on August 14, 2016.

(AFP/File)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

Twenty one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls have been released by Boko Haram, Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu confirms.

According to Shehu, their release is the outcome of negotiations between the government and the sect, which was brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government.

He said the negotiation is still ongoing - this is expected to lead to the release of more of the girls.

 

A military helicopter was said to have picked them up from Banki area of Borno state where terrorists dropped them off.

More than 200 of the girls were kidnapped by the sect  in April 2014 and there has not been any major breakthrough in their rescue efforts since then.

ALSO READ: Chibok girls receiving 'special treatment' in Sambisa forest - Mediator

In May 2016, one of the girls, Aminat Nkeki was found with a baby and a suspected Boko Haram member, Mohammed Hayatu, who claimed to be her husband.

Hayatu has since been detained.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.