Here are 5 things you need to know about sacked Paul Boroh and the alleged $9M cash found in his house.
However, Buhari sacked Boroh and replaced him with Prof Charles Dokubo. And Boroh’s problems began.
Here’s everything you should know about the trials of Boroh:
1. Soon after Boroh was sacked, the EFCC arrested him and according to a ThisDay report, marched him to his home.
2. When the EFCC combed Boroh’s home, they found $9million in cash.
According to ThisDay, “security operatives who raided Boroh’s house for hours made the cash discovery of $9million at his home. He remains in the custody of the EFCC.
3. ThisDay writes that this money was discovered in “several safe boxes in several parts of the house”.
The operatives broke all the locks in Boroh’s house including his wife’s closet to make this find, according to the story.
4. Boroh was probably sacked after a petition emerged that he had been mismanaging funds earmarked for the presidential amnesty program.
The petition was addressed to Buhari.
A petitioner, Timi Angalabiri, had called for “credible investigative inquiry to commence into the non-payment of tuition fees and living expenses of recently graduated Niger Delta students in universities across the United States, the United Kingdom and Nigeria, with many institutions withholding the students’ certificates due to non-payment of tuition fees ranging from nine months to two years, despite receiving over N70 billion within this time frame”.
5. However, Boroh’s wife, Mrs Ibinye Boroh, says ThisDay’s story that $9million was found in their apartment was a fabrication.
"My attention has been drawn to the publication in some section of the Nigerian media and social media that Nine Million dollars was recovered by the government operatives from our house and premises in the course of their search.
“This is to inform the public that no cash was discovered and could have been discovered by government operatives during their search in our house last Monday, March 19.
“The publication was fabricated, it was false in its entirety, malicious and calculated attempt to mislead the public,’’ she said.
Boroh’s lawyer, Chief Olusola Oke (SAN) called the ThisDay story “totally false, misleading and defamatory”.
According to Oke, the EFCC confirmed to him that information concerning a stash of cash was never conveyed to any media organisation.
“This publication is totally false without basis; it’s a fabrication that has disparaged my client greatly.
“No such sum or any sum of money was found by the operatives after their extensive search on his house and premises.
“We want to believe that this is a story planted with the involvement of the social media as a veritable weapon to convey this defamatory statement to the public."