In Kano Govt signs $1.8B light rail contract with Chinese firm‎

The Kano State government has signed a light rail contract with a Chinese firm to the tune of $1.8billion

  • Published:
Abdullahi Ganduje play

Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje

(DailyTimes)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Kano State Government has signed contracts valued at 1.8 billion Dollars with China Railway Construction Group C18 for the construction of light rail line in the state.‎

‎Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje signed the contract in a brief ceremony on Wednesday in Kano.

Ganduje said the first phase of the construction was billed to take two years, while the second phase of the four-line rail was expected to take another two years.‎

He added that the project will improve the transport system within the state, as well as drive economic activities in the state.

The governor explained that “the project is part of grand design to upgrade Kano to the status of a truly great city, as it will significantly ease movement of goods and services.

Upon completion, the light rail is expected to cover Janguza-Bata, Jogana-Bata, Dawanau-Bata and Kwanar Dawaki-Bata routes in Kano city.”

He added that a  Chinese Bank would provide 85 per cent of the total sum, while the Kano State Government would pay the remaining 15 per cent.

He said that the first phase of the project from Dawanau to Bata would cost 555 million Dollars.

The Chairman of the company, Mr Ben Shinxo, assured the state government of the company’s readiness to complete the projects in two years as this would benefit the public.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.