Junk drawer, be gone!
Never fear! Every drawer makeover begins with the same five steps, according to Korinne Kubena Belock, founder and owner of Urban Simplicity, a professional organizing company in New York City and Palm Beach, Florida. Here is her step-by-step guide for getting your drawers in shape for good:
1. Dump everything out and clean the interior. Consider adding liners for a hit of color or pattern—some are even scented.
(Kick-start your new, healthy routine with Women's Health's 12-Week Total-Body Transformation!)
2. Sort like with like—multiples of pens, tape measures, etc. Divide the useful items from anything you can toss or recycle (old takeout menus, expired coupons).
3. Decide which of those useful items stay in the drawer and which can go somewhere else. Things you use infrequently? Off to the closet!
4. Measure the drawer and pick organizing bins that fit. Don't forget to measure depth. If your drawer is deep, you can stack bins near the back to maximize space.
5. Add the bins and start filling. Aim for balance: Too much clutter makes people tense, but so does a box that's too barren. You want a curated set of important items.
This article originally appeared in the May 2017 issue of Women's Health. For more great advice, pick up a copy of the issue on newsstands now!