It's the second working day of the year and while several folks have gradually started settling back into the work routine, many are still struggling to come to terms with the fact that the holidays are over.
Well guess what folks? The holidays really are over and they're not coming around for a long while to come. Now that we've established this very basic fact, here are 5 easy steps that can help you settle back into the work routine.
- Be positive and embrace reality: As stated earlier, the holidays are long gone and won't be rolling around anytime soon. So rather than complain and feel bad, dwell on the positive like the fact that you even have a job to resume to where many others don't.
- Focus on easy tasks: While its great to hit the ground running, its also important to ease into things so you don't feel suddenly overwhelmed and subsequently resentful of the fact that the holidays are over. Set easily surmountable goals and delight in small victories as this will put you in the right frame of mind and then prod you to do more.
- Introduce something new: The idea is to create excitement and give you something to look forward to. It could be something as basic as changing your regular route, discovering a new great website or even making a new friend at work.
- Revamp your music playlist: Music is a very great tool which can both calm and inspire under the right circumstances. But listening to the same set of songs can get tiring after a while so take the time to infuse new songs to your playlist and watch your energy level spike up.
- Make a list of goals: This goes without saying. While we're all for easing into things, its also important to have a clear set of goals from the outset to guide you through the working year ahead. Make them realistic and you can even develop a reward system to encourage yourself after every achievement.