Nigerian buns is literally the twin brother of puff puff but crunchy outside and fluffy inside.
Like puff puff, buns is one of the popular snacks in Nigeria which is fluffy inside crunchy outside and less oily, unlike puff puff which is oily, soft and spongy all round.
Buns are best enjoyed when hot (straight from the fire) and they are pretty easy to make.
1. 250g flour (all purpose flour)
2. 30g sugar
3. 1 Tsp baking powder
4. A pinch of salt
5. A pinch of nutmeg
6. 1 egg
7. 2 Tsp milk
8. 50g butter
10. Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg, baking powder) and mix well.
2. Add the butter and mix properly.
3. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, whisk the egg and milk in and mix properly, adding water intermittently until you get a stretchy sticky dough.
4. Set it aside for about 5 minutes.
5. In a non-stick skillet, heat up vegetable oil.
6. Scoop the batter (in form of small moulded balls) into the oil. Fry till it is golden brown.
There you go. Enjoy with any drink of your choice.