Rock buns, better known as buns is another favourite street food in Nigeria, second only to puff puff. here is how to make it at home.
While buns are crusty on the outside but soft and fluffy inside, puff puff is soft and fluffy all round. Here is how to prepare buns at home.
READ MORE: How to make puff puff at home
What you need:
- 500 grams of flour
- 10 grams of sugar
- Teaspoon of baking powder
- Teaspoon of salt
- Vegetable oil
- Margarine (optional)
- Milk (enough quantity to form a batter) This is also optional as you can use water instead.
1. Pour all the ingredients, except the oil into a mixing bowl and mix till the dough is smooth, thick and stretchy batter.
Note that water give it lighter consistency, and the dough must be thick if you want to be able to mould it into perfectly shaped balls.
2. Cover the batter and leave to rise for about half an hour.
3. Heat up the oil in a big pan or pot. Note that the oil must not be too hot; otherwise the outside of the buns will cook and the insides will remain uncooked.
4. Use your hand to scoop the batter and mold into the balls, then drop into the hot oil till the pan or pot is full.
5. Fry on medium heat for about 25 minutes so that they are evenly cooked.
6. Remove from oil when the buns are a nice golden brown. Serve as desired!