Icing a cake with butter cream could be a bit difficult especially when it gets all messy and you don't get the smooth covering you want. These 6 steps will help you better.
Getting that nice, perfectly smooth finish with no ridges whatsoever when icing a cake is everyone's desire especially when it comes to butter icing. However, we often struggle getting it right.
These tips will, however, help you do a better job the next time you're icing a cake.
How to ice a smooth cake with butter cream
1. Place the cake on a turn table. Trim to level the top by using a serrated knife and put a huge amount of icing on top of the cake
2. Spread the icing to cover the top of the cake and spread the extra icing to cover the sides of the cake.
3. With a metal spatula, put some icing and hold it against the side of the cake, spreading it and covering the cake all around as you turn the cake around with the other hand.
4. When the cake is covered all around, take an icing smoother tool and hold it against the side of the cake. Turn the cake round while leaving the icing smoother in the same place. You might have to repeat the process a couple of times to get the smooth cake you desire.
5. Push the excess icing hanging around the edges of the cake towards the centre of the cake using the metal spatula. Wipe the excess buttercream to the bowl. You should have nice, clean edges by now.
6. Clean the spatula, run it across the top of the cake to smoothen it.
There you go! Your cake is ready for decoration.