1. Lipstick. Did I hear someone say 'Yay!'? Yes, most women will agree that some touch of lipstick can all a rainbow to bluest of skies. Even on days when time won’t allow you do the elaborate make-up, a touch of lipstick still puts you somewhere between glamorous and beautiful.
So always have your favourite lipstick close by and keep looking your best.
2. Insurance cash: This may sound funny but you should always have ‘wahala money' with you for unforeseen circumstances and I mean real cash, not debit or credit cards.
Situations may arise, like a date where the 'Mr. Nice Guy' suddenly turns out to a 'Mr. Totally Wrong Guy' and your guys are somewhere far from home. Or you visit your man at his house and end up fighting, lack of cash will keep you trapped there.
So never go out on an empty purse!
3. Tampons or pads: Truth is, nobody really knows when Mother Nature will wave her wand so it’s wise to be prepared for the monthly run-ins by having at least one tampon/pad in your purse - just call it feminine protection.
4. Panadol or Aspirin: No, you won’t look crazy if a few aspirins are tucked somewhere in your purse. How many times have you been out of the house and taken a headache? I’m sure there have been a few occasions when you've wished for a bit of pain relief on the road. Avoid a repeat and stay prepared by always keeping a few pain relievers at hand – you don’t have to carry the whole pharmacy though!
5. Sanitary Wipes: Yeah, I know you don’t have a baby but it would be wise to have wet wipes with you, rather than mere tissue paper – there are even washable wipes in the market. Restaurant accidents, roadside mud splashes and other accidents don't come with earning!
6. Pen and Jotter: Many people have kicked the habit of having pens and jotters into the bin - when a situation arises creating a need a pen or pencil, I've seen women excavate the innards of their giant purses only to find a spent eyeliner - not good enough if you're dealing with a formal situation. So keep a small pen, and jotter, in that purse!
7. Self-defence kit; Mace or pepper spray: Civilisation has made predators out of many humans and women are seen as easy prey, especially to rapists and purse-snatchers. So carry a 'weapon' in form of a mace or pepper spray which, though non-lethal, is pretty effective in stopping the predators - boyfriends inclusive.
8. Hair Pins: No doubt, they might end up at the bottom of your purse, but hairpins will come in handy when you need them most - and not only for your hair.
9. Travel-Size Perfume: Smelling good is as important as looking good so never leave the house without a travel-size perfume - especially during the monthly thingy.