Ebola WHO investigates possible disease outbreak in Congo

According to WHO spokesman, Eugene Kabambi, the suspected outbreak was in the village of Masambio in Bandundu province.

  • Published: , Refreshed:
play (RT)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The World Health Organization (WHO) and Congo are investigating a possible outbreak of Ebola in a village in the country.

According to WHO spokesman, Eugene Kabambi, the suspected outbreak was in the village of Masambio in Bandundu province.

Congo has seen periodic outbreaks of the disease, which since last year has killed more than 11,200 people in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea in the worst Ebola epidemic on record.

Last year, a 3-month outbreak that killed 49 people late in the remote forests of northwestern Congo was not related to the West African epidemic.

Said Kabambi,

"What we know is just suspicion. For the time being, epidemiologists are on the ground collecting samples to send to the lab"

He further said that he did not know how many suspected cases there were or when they were first reported even as Congo's health minister called an emergency meeting on the suspected outbreak on Thursday.

A medical adviser at the health ministry, Lomamy Kalema Shodu, confirmed the suspected cases and said that the government was treating the situation very seriously.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.