Teenager Drama Police saves 17-year-old boy from diving into the lagoon

The boy attempted suicide because he was scared on facing his mother after losing an amount cash.

  • Published:
Third Mainland Bridge play

A boy was saved as he attempted to dive into the Lagos Lagoon

(Daily Post)
24/7 Live - Subscribe to the Pulse Newsletter!

The Rapid Response Squad of the Lagos State Police Command, have successfully stopped a year 17-year-old boy named Lanre, from diving into the Lagos lagoon in a suicide attempt.

According to reports, he wanted to kill himself after being robbed by a group of hoodlums, who collected his phone and N6,000 belonging to his mother.

Rapid Response Squad play

Men of the Rapid Response Squad to the rescue

(Root TV)


It was due to the fear of reporting that he had lost the money that prompted him to want to commit suicide.

Explaining his reason for attempting suicide, Lanre said, “I couldn’t summon the courage to go back home to tell my mum that I lost the money. I don’t know those guys and I have never seen them before.”

The RRS agents grabbed the teenager by the leg just as he was about falling into the lagoon. It was a near whisker save.

READ: Mini van bursts into flames on 3rd mainland bridge

Olatunji Disu, the RRS Commander said, “Some RRS men were on a regular patrol of the Third Mainland Bridge when a roving mechanic drew their attention to a lone teenager standing by the edge of the bridge and looking into the Lagoon curiously.

“On getting to the scene, he was seen standing on the crash barrier, ready to dive into the Lagoon. But before he could jump, he was held in the legs by the RRS officials and taken to the RRS headquarters.”

Lanre is a Sickle Cell Anaemia patient who has been living without any incident. This was revealed by his mother who was summoned to the police station after the incident.

She said, “He has just finished his secondary school. I don’t know why he wanted to commit suicide. He is a sickle cell anaemia patient, but he has never been admitted in a hospital before. If I don’t tell you, you won’t know. He is athletic and doing just fine. His father has travelled overseas and re-married. We are doing fine with our lives.

“If he had returned home to tell me what happened, the worst I could have done was to slap him.

“I know I have been an exceptional mother to my four children. I have never allowed them to miss their father and they are doing quite well in their studies.”

Through the diligence of the police and the alertness of a nearby man, tragedy was averted and the boy has now been safely reunited with his family.

Do you ever witness news or have a story that should be featured on Pulse Nigeria?
Submit your stories, pictures and videos to us now via WhatsApp: +2349055172167, Social Media @pulsenigeria247: #PulseEyewitness & DM or Email: eyewitness@pulse.ng. More information here.