The fire broke out after a sales boy at a gas shop attempted to refill a domestic cylinder. eight people reportedly died in the inferno.
About eight persons have been reportedly lost their lives in an inferno that broke out in Eket, Akwa Ibom on Monday, January 5.
The fire occurred at a Gas Filling Store located among chain of stores at 72 Afaha Uqua Road Eket. According to reports, the fire started as a result of a Gas Cylinder exploding when a sales boy at a shop attempted refilling a domestic (Cooking) cylinder with gas.
“The Sales Boy was carrying a long cylinder full of gas outside in an attempt to refill gas to a customer but unfortunately the cylinder fell off his hands and exploded on the ground, causing a very serious fire that spread instantly to nearby shops including a restaurant in which many people were eating at that time”, a witness name Imaobong told KillingPunch.com.
An unnamed Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) officer and his female accompany ware badly burnt and currently in the hospital battling for their lives.
A certain Miss Ethel Bassy who operates a hair dressing salon survived but lost her shop and million Naira worth properties to the inferno. She also called for the State Government through the House of Assembly to enact a law which will prohibit the sales of gas and petrol within residential buildings.